Satuan Pendidikan : Sekolah Menengah Pertama (SMP)
Mata Pelajaran : Bahasa Inggris
Hari/Tanggal : Rabu, 2 April 2008
Waktu : Pukul 08.00 – 10.00 (120 Menit)
Hitamilah salah satu kotak pada huruf a, b, c, atau d yang Anda anggap benar pada lembar jawaban komputer!
- This notice is found on a certain part of a machine. What does it mean?
A. You have to wait for the order if you want to bring the machine out.
B. You may not turn the machine off when there is an order to go out.
C. The machine is placed out side the room so you can not operate it.
D. You can not operate the machine because it doesn’t working.
2. The caution means …
A. The computer is supposed to be switched on when you want to install it.
B. You may not start doing installation when the computer is still on.
C. You have to install the computer when it can not be switched off.
D. The computer is broken so you can not switch it on.
Read the message and answer questions 3 and 4.
Sorry honey, I can’t fulfill my promise 2 go with u 2 Jane’s birthday party 2night. I’ve 2 meet Mr. Brown at 07.00 pm. Please, don’t be angry.
3. Who will have a birthday party tonight?
A. Mr. Brown. c. Jane.
B. Ryan. d. Liz.
4. How is Ryan feeling when he sends the message?
A. Impressed. c. Relieved.
B. Confused. d. Guilty.
Read the text and answer questions 5 and 6.
5. What is the purpose of the text above?
A. To ask for information.
B. To describe something.
C. To invite someone.
D. To give warning.
6. Which of the following statements is true about the text?
A. The party will be held in the morning.
B. The sender of the invitation is Brian Fontenot.
C. The place of the party is The Fontenot’s house.
D. The party is to celebrate Brian and Jen Fontenot 25th anniversary.
Read the text and answer question 7.
7. The texts belong to ….
Read the text and answer questions 8 to 10.
8. What does William McGuire do?
A. Lecturer. c. Real estate agent.
B. College student. d. Production manager.
9. “… the engagement of their daughter.”
The word “their” in the sentence refers to …
A. Mr. and Mrs. McGuire
B. Mr. and Mrs. George Diaz
C. Lisa Alice and William McGuire
D. The friends of Ms. Diaz and Mr. McGuire
10. “… is currently employed with Leyland and bailey Company.” (line 4)
What is the best meaning of the underlined word?
A. In the future. C. In the past time.
B. At the old time. D. At the present time.
Read the text and answer questions 11 to 13.
11. What is the advertisement about?
A. Facial scrub. C. Skin whitening.
B. Body lotion. D. Sun block cream.
12. The product may be used only by …
A. Men. C. Women.
B. Baby. D. Children.
13. Why should you use the product as directed?
A. To change the process of moisturizing.
B. To prevent your skin from irritation.
C. To protect your body from the heat.
D. To reduce the effect of sunlight.
Read the text and answer questions 14 to 16.
14. When will Fika visit Ratih?
A. Next year. C. Next Month.
B. Tomorrow. D. This weekend.
15. What is the relationship between the sender and the receiver of the E-mail?
A. Relatives. C. Friends.
B. Siblings. D. Sisters.
16. “I gladly accept your invitation.” (paragraph 1 line 4)
The word “gladly” in the sentence is most similar in meaning to…
A. directly. C. correctly.
B. happily. D. properly.
Read the text and answer questions 17 to 19.
17. The text above tells us about job …
A. schedule C. proposal
B. vacancy D. agreement
18. Which of the following statements is wrong about the text?
A. The main job to do is to teach.
B. The job location is in Serang.
C. The salary can be negotiated.
D. The job type is freelance.
19. What graduate is required by the company?
A. D2 in English. C. S1 in Mandarin.
B. S2 in English. D. D3 in Mandarin
Read the text and answer question 20
20. The chart above shows us the percentage of … which people like from 2004 to 2007.
A. kinds of movie C. various food
B. type of music D. fashion style
Read the text and answer questions 21 to 23.
Thunderstorms are one
dangerous of weather
phenomena. Over 40,000
throughout the world each
There are two main types of thunderstorms: ordinary and severe. Ordinary thunderstorms are the common summer storm. It last about one hour. The precipitation associated with them is rain and occasionally is hail. An ordinary thunderstorm cloud can grow up to 12 kilometers high. Severe thunderstorms are really dangerous. They are capable of producing baseball-sized hail, strong winds, intense rain, flash floods and tornadoes. It can last several hours and can grow 18 kilometers high.
21. What is the best title of the text above?
A. Lightning. C. Earthquake.
B. Tornadoes D. Thunderstorms.
22. How many hours may ordinary thunderstorms last?
A. 1 C. 3
B. 2 D. 4
23. The following are the effects of severe thunderstorms except …
A. intense rain C. strong winds
B. flash floods D. volcano eruption
Read the text and answer questions 24 and 25.
24. The label above is taken from … produced by LG.
A. CD player. C. Card Reader.
B. DVD-ROM. D. CD-Re Writer.
25. “Improve the high-speed recording …” (line 4)
The underlined word is similar in meaning to “become …”
A. lower C. simpler
B. better D. smaller
For questions 26 to 28 choose the best words to complete the text.
a. employ c. offer
b. reserve d. sell
a. I c. you
b. we d. they
a. notes c. materials
b. teachers d. computers
For questions 29 to 31 choose the word closest in meaning to the underlined words.
a. Bring. c. Send.
b. Take. d. Put
a. Shape object. c. Add colors.
b. Change size. d. Give sign.
a. Safely. c. Smoothly.
b. Wisely. d. Beautifully.
Read the text and answer questions 32 to 34.
32. The text mainly discusses about …
A. the story about terrible earthquake
B. the writer’s experience with tsunami
C. the steps to avoid danger in your life
D. the description of a beach in Meulaboh
33. What is the main idea of the third paragraph?
A. The writer saw many fish on the sand.
B. The view of the beach was very exciting.
C. The writer liked to see the wave in the sea.
D. Tsunami occurred and destroyed everything.
34. Everybody in the beach was panic because …
A. the sun rose brightly
B. there was an earthquake
C. the beach was very enjoyable.
D. there was amazing view in the sea.
For questions 35 to 37 choose the best words to complete the text.
a. join c. visit
b. live d. arrive
a. hers c. theirs
b. ours d. yours
a. satisfied c. happy
b. excited d. angry
Read the text and answer questions 38 to 40.
38. The distance from Jakarta to Pangandaran is … km.
A. 50 c. 223
B. 80 d. 400
39. Which of the following statements is wrong about the text above?
A. It takes 8 hours from Jakarta to Pangandaran by bus.
B. You can visit a national park with beaches in Pangandaran.
C. The trip to Pangandaran can be done by car, by bus, or by train.
D. The visitors can enjoy the view of Bali Island from Pangandaran.
40. “This is the second beach resort area … ” (paragraph 2 line 4)
The underlined word refers to …
A. Pelabuhan Ratu C. Yogya
B. Pangandaran D. Bali
- Read the text and answer questions 41 to 43.
Sometimes abbreviated as ‘puter, a computer is an electronic device that allows you to input data and have it stored, processed, or otherwise manipulated quickly and efficiently.
There are several types of computers.
Embedded computer is a commonly used computer with a specific function found in such things as cars, TVs, the VCR, and other home electronics. Personal computer is the most widely used computer today and most likely what you’re using now. Laptop / Portable computer is a small computer that users can easily carry around and work with when on the road or elsewhere. Mainframe or Supercomputer is computer working as a large computer to perform extremely complicated task
Which computer can be carried easily by the users?
A. Personal computer.
B. Embedded computer.
C. Laptop/Portable computer.
D. Mainframe or Supercomputer.
What is the main idea of the second paragraph?
A. Computer has various types.
B. Embedded computer is rarely used.
C. Computer is used to do complicated tasks.
D. The users prefer to use personal computer.
- ” …that allows you to input …” (paragraph 1)
What does the word “you” in the sentence refer to?
A. The readers C. The processor
B. The programmers D. The workers
Read the text and answer questions 44 to 47.
44. Who stole the magic candle from the old woman?
A. The wanderer. C. The genies.
B. The princess. D. The devil.
- What happened at the castle?
- The devil kept the magic candle carefully.
- The wanderer took the magic candle from the devil.
- The devil helped the wanderer to find the magic candle.
- The wanderer borrowed the magic candle from the devil.
The princess was angry with the wanderer because …
a. the wanderer fell in love with her
b. she finally knew the wanderer’s bad attitude
c. the wanderer prohibited her to stay in the palace
d. she wanted to visit the old woman at the old hut
What moral value can we get from the story above?
- It is about love and sacrifice.
- It teaches us to ignore others’ problem.
- It reminds us that the wealth is everything.
- It reminds us that the greed can not bring the happiness.
Read the text and answer questions 48 to 50.
- The scouts set their tents up .…
a. on the mountain c. in the garden
b. beside the road d. in the valley
When did the scouts begin their fun camping programs?
a. At night. c. In the morning.
b. In the evening. d. In the afternoon.
- “… and some others cooked their lunch.” (paragraph 3 line 3)
What does the underlined phrase refer to?
a. The teachers. c. The boy scouts.
b. The girl scouts. d. The leader of scouts.